US Visitor Visa FAQ

US Visa Questions 1: How Can I Apply for a Tourist Visa to the United States?

This is one of the most common US visa questions and here is your answer. At most U.S. embassies or consulates abroad all a person must do in order to apply for a tourist visa is make an appointment with the embassy or consulate and show up for that appointment. In addition to this, the applicant must fill out a DS-160 online nonimmigrant visa application.

Presenting Your Case at the U.S. Consulate

When you come to your visa appointment at the U.S. embassy or consulate you will only have a few minutes to make your case for a visa. The consular officers are in a hurry and usually will not spend more than a few minutes with you, so it is important that you are prepared to explain in very few words why you should be given a visitor’s visa.

US E Visa Questions 2: What Must I Prove in Order to Get a Tourist Visa?

Among all the US tourist visa questions, this one needs some elaboration. There are primarily two things you must prove in order to get a tourist visa to the United States. They are the intent to return to your home country at the end of your stay in the U.S. and the ability to finance your trip without working illegally in the United States.

Exploring US Visitor Visa FAQ in Detail

Below, you can find a detailed guide on how to prove your intent to return to your home country and your capability to finance the trip.

Proving the Intent to Return to Your Home Country at the End of Your Authorized Stay

The primary, most important thing that you must prove at this appointment is that you will return to your home country at the end of your visit to the United States. There is a presumption in the U.S. immigration law that every person who applies for a nonimmigrant visa actually has immigrant intent. Therefore, the burden is always on the visa applicant to prove that he does not have immigrant intent, but intends to return to his own country at the end of his stay. You will not be issued a visa unless you prove to the consulate that you will return to your country. How do you prove this? By showing that you have what we call “ties to the home country”.

“Ties to the home country” include anything that would make you want to come back to your country at the end of your visit to the United States. This includes anything and everything that would make you want to return to your own country. It is often necessary to be creative in proving these ties.

Finally, do not overwhelm the consular officer with paperwork. Try to prove all of this with just a few documents, because the consular officer will have very little time to devote to your case. The officer must be convinced you are a good risk in just a minute or two, so bring just a few documents and briefly summarize your proof verbally once you come up to the window for your interview. Remember, your job is to convince them that you will not overstay your visa.

Proving That You Have the Financial Means to Finance Your Trip Without Working Illegally 

The second most important thing you must prove in order to get a tourist visa is that you will not work illegally while you are in the United States. This means that you must show that you have enough money to finance your entire trip without working in the United States. To do this you must show either enough money in a bank account to pay for your travel expenses to and from the U.S. and your living expenses while you are here, or you must show that someone in the United States is willing to pay for these things and has the means to do it

Again, present your proof of financial means with as few documents as possible and verbally explain to the consular officer how you will be paying for your trip when you attend your interview.

If the US visitor visa FAQ has not addressed your queries, feel free to consult us.


We will look over your paperwork before it is submitted, all for a moderate flat fee.

US Immigration consultants

U.S. Immigration Consultation and Filing Services by Licensed U.S. Immigration Lawyers